A Change in the Spiritual Climate is Coming

climate

As I contemplate where the church is, in this post-modern culture, and where it needs to be going, I feel a change in the air.

I sense a new wind blowing through the church.  I am not smart enough to know what all that means, or to be able to predict the future, but the signs are there.  My spiritual senses tell me that a change in the spiritual climate is coming.

I’m not yet sure whether this is a storm, or the just the rains after a drought.  But I suspect that it may be the wind of opportunity that promises a new beginning that I hear blowing.

It may just be the fresh winds of the Spirit that will bring the “showers of blessing” that people used to sing about.

Our world and our culture are changing rapidly all around us.  With new communication technology and increasing global interaction, we face a world that will be radically different from the one in which we have lived for so long.  And our own society is changing.  There are new ways of thinking and new ways of doing things.

The year 2016 was just a date on a calendar, yet that date caused us to take a long look at where we have been and where we are going.  And when we looked closely, the changes unfolding all around us have surprised us.  And in the years since those changes have continued at a rapidly increasing pace.

Of course, some want to see the changes, any changes, as threatening.  And so they move into a doomsday mode and adopt a negative view (Think the Jonah Syndrome).  They fight most any kind of change as a change for the worse.

There ARE things to be concerned about WITH some changes.  But where some people see only problems, others see opportunities.

Change can be threatening!

However, people who study such things tell us that times of change are the best opportunities for people to respond to God.  The uncertainty that any major change brings, opens the door to reevaluate one’s life and ask questions of purpose and meaning.

If that is true in individuals, I suspect it is also true of society.  And it is true of the church.

Statistics show that there is more interest in religion and spirituality in the US now than there has been in the last half-century.  Of course, some of that spirituality is of the weird kind, and certainly not Christian.  But that also tells us that there are opportunities to proclaim the Gospel.

Frankly, I’m not sure what all that means for the church.  I think that is probably the greatest challenge we face in the coming years as people of God, to find out how to proclaim our testimony to the grace of God in a rapidly changing world.  The message has not changed, and the truth has not changed.  But the world has.  And how we speak the truth will need to change in order to speak to that world.

New winds are blowing.  The spiritual climate is changing.  The smell of fresh breezes and fresh showers are in the air.

Yet there is risk.  For some, there is risk that the newness that God brings will also bring an ending to their way of doing things, an ending of the security of the past.  For others there is risk that they will be the ones called to forge into new territory in the power of the Spirit, to announce and help build the newness that God is bringing.

But one thing is certain.  There will be no status quo.  There will be no going on as usual.  The changes that are already in process in our culture and church will not allow it.

We can’t do that just because we decide it should be so.  But we can do it as God calls to us and reveals to us where he is working in the world.  And we can do it as we listen, hear, and respond to that call, as God enables us.

I don’t know about you, but I’m going to be watching closely for the changes in the spiritual weather.  And I will be listening carefully so I don’t miss the voice of God in the darkness.

And if someone asks me about a voice they have heard calling their name in the night, I will be ready to tell them to say, “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.”

“The Lord came and stood there and called as he had before, “Samuel, Samuel!”
Samuel said, “Speak, Lord. I am your servant and I am listening,”  Samuel 3:10.

Mary Lindow

Author: Mary Lindow

Mary Lindow has a passion for encouraging others in all generations and careers or vocations to live and express excellence through personal integrity, healthy accountability, and wise management of talents and skills. She is a sought after keynote inspirational and humorous speaker and teacher throughout the United States internationally in Ministers conferences, International Spiritual leaders Conferences, and in National and International training seminars for various organizations.

Visit her sites at MaryLindow.com and GlobalPrayerRooms.com.

© 2016, Z3 News. The first 200 words of Z3 News articles may be shared online in exchange for a clickable link to our site. Please include the author name and do not make any changes to text or titles. No image files from our site may be shared because we don’t own them. For permission to use our content in other formats, please contact us.

Michael Scott
Michael Scott
March 30, 2016 12:56 AM

Thank you Susan Y & Sarah….. Your insight is very encouraging.

steve kelly
March 31, 2016 7:33 PM

Sorry Michael, I should have included you in the names of the saints above. I would encourage you to go to the link also. https://youtu.be/HPYgKxasz-A

SusanY
SusanY
March 29, 2016 8:36 AM

Michael Scott: I too am in your situaton but in remote North Eastern North Carolina. I call it a God forsaken land. When I first arrived here, I could sense a deep darkness over the area. People go to church as a social club. I see no evidence of the Holy Spirit in their lives. The saying around here: “If you are not born bred and raised here, we do not want you here”. They don’t mind saying it right to your face. For 12 years I have asked God why He brought me here. I have tried to leave, but God always closes the door. He wants me right where I and that is the safest place to be. He has a plan and purpose for bringing me here to this remote place. He definitely showed within the last year, I am right where he wants to be. Maybe my house will be used as a refuge to those fleeing. So after last years movements from God in my life, I will be at peace knowing He will shelter me from the storm right where I live and bring Christians here who need a refuge. So Scott, pray about it. You might be right where God can use you the most.

Kenzel
April 1, 2016 4:06 PM

Very interesting Michael, SusanY, and Sarah,
I knew I needed to leave CA back when. His hand brought us to the midwest. Most people think there’s nothing out here. I recognize the spiritual darkness over much of the land. I’m also beginning to believe that part of my vision in that dream was identifying the darkness and the evidence of its effects.
I’ve continued to seek his will for where he wants me, to make sure I’m in the right place. Although, ultimately, there is no place better to be than in the Will (& purpose) of God.

Sarah Tennessee
Sarah Tennessee
March 29, 2016 10:12 AM

Susan and Michael….ditto with you both in S Central TN. The darkness is extreme. It took my husband and I about 1+ years to feel Peace on our property. I do feel He has sent a few of His remnant out disbursed amongst the strongholds to establish a network to be found by the Spirit led when His Voice leads during the season that approaches. In 2002 I had an anointed man of God lay his hand on my shoulder and say: “You are an arrow in God’s Hands and He is shooting you into the darkest places to set the captives free!” He was right and this Rehma is also for all establishing His network in dark places.

John Barry
John Barry
March 29, 2016 10:10 AM

Thanks Susan Y & Amen , I am from Dallas , the LORD sent me to the Ozarks , what I would give for a Burger King or decent restaurant . But I am right where GOD wants me , preparing for the harvest ; GOD has a plan !

steve kelly
March 31, 2016 7:28 PM

Susan Y, John & Robert, go to https://youtu.be/HPYgKxasz-A and start at 5:17. My wife & I are also in Arkansas, have been for going on 16 years now and cannot seem to get out. Blessed be the name of the Lord!

Robert Adolph
Robert Adolph
March 29, 2016 11:21 AM

John, where in the Ozarks? I’m near Clinton Arkansas.

John Barry
John Barry
March 29, 2016 12:13 PM

Robert I am in the Ash Flat – Salem area , NW of you .

Robert Adolph
Robert Adolph
March 29, 2016 1:51 PM

John Barry, if you would like to correspond ask James for my e-mail address.

Bonnie
Bonnie
March 29, 2016 7:05 AM
Sue
Sue
March 28, 2016 8:04 PM

The Church will rise to the Lord out of the mud, muck to wear a white wedding dress.

Sue
Sue
March 28, 2016 8:05 PM

…through the shedding of blood.

Michael Scott
Michael Scott
March 28, 2016 2:04 PM

Mary, We can only hope that these changes will be for the better.
I live in a very small farming community in the mid-west (about 2000) people. There is “NO” common unity here on any level. If you expose yourself as someone who loves the Lord you are quickly labeled as
“one of those”. In a community such as this I would have expected otherwise. Hidden wireless remote spycams are everywhere. There is no trust. Backstabbing, snitching, malicious gossip, lying lips and a false testimony seem to be the order of the day in this place! I often wonder why the Lord placed me here in such a time as this. Maybe to prepare me and open my eyes to the world in which is quickly becoming the hellish nightmare I’ve read about. The only changes I see are either People begin killing each other, or revival.
There is definitely something stirring. Pray for revival, prepare for trouble……alone in the wilderness!

Tracye B.
Tracye B.
March 28, 2016 1:54 PM
Mary, Thank you for your encouraging post. From a website called “Awakening America” – There are 20 indicators that will signal a Great Awakening in America: 10 in the Church and 10 in the Culture. These Spiritual indicators will ignite a passion for the body of Christ to unify in prayer, as we prepare our states, our counties, and our hearts. In the Church 1. Increasing testimony of the manifest presence of God 2. Increased conversions and baptisms 3. Amplified participation in corporate as well as individual prayer, fasting, and other spiritual disciplines leading to more effective discipleship 4. A decrease in divorces and renewed commitment to marriage between a man and a woman in covenant relationship as God intends 5. Imparting faith to children and youth as parents are equipped by the church to become primary disciplers of their children 6. Among churches, a passionate pursuit for the well-being of their cities through the planting of new congregations, benevolent ministries, practical service and focused evangelism 7. Commitment to radical generosity as evidenced by compassion ministries and global missions 8. Improved health among ministers as evidenced by their joy, decreased resignations, healthy loving relationships within their families, and an increased response among young people called to the ministry 9. Christians involved in bold witness accompanied by miracles, dramatic conversions and Holy Spirit empowered victories over evil 10. Heightened expressions of love and unity among all believers, as demonstrated by the unity of pastors and leaders In the Culture 11. Breakdowns of racial, social and status barriers as Christ’s church celebrates together – Jesus! 12. A restoration of morality, ethical foundations and accountability among leaders of church and government, business and politics 13. A transformation of society through the restoration of Christ’s influence in the arts, media, and communications 14. Increased… Read more »
KathleenNelson
KathleenNelson
March 28, 2016 5:26 PM

Lord use us to let your winds of healing flow,I Love you Abba Father.

Ken
Ken
March 28, 2016 12:14 PM

Yes I am sure there will a change as erecting temples to Baal in this country will do nothing but to further hasten the judgement of a Holy God.

Sue
Sue
March 28, 2016 8:03 PM

Here come the fallen watchers. Move forward in victory over them.