“People in darkness cannot receive what you teach or preach today.”

The presence of the Lord was strong during our worship time this morning. In the words of my wife, Gloria, it was “electrifying.”

As we sang the words of the song, “Open the Eyes of My Heart Lord,” I covered my face with a tallit and sought to see in the Spirit. Then I had a strange experience. My right eye (spiritual eye) could only see darkness, but my left (spiritual) eye saw light. I tried to shift my spiritual focus, but this kept coming back. Then I heard the Lord saying, “The authorities of the world are in deep darkness.”

I understood that the right side represents authority, power and might. In the natural realm, all of these are in deep darkness. I heard the Lord say, “The authorities of this world do not know what to do.”

I thought about Isaiah 60:2a, “For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and deep darkness the people;”

The power of the darkness was the exact opposite of the power of God this morning. Strength has been turned to weakness. Human power has been turned to impotence. Natural authority is ineffective today.

My thoughts went to what was happening with my left eye, and I sought to understand what this meant. Then I heard the Holy Spirit saying, “Light has been given to those who faithfully serve the Lord.”

I thought about the words of the Lord in Isaiah 60:2b-3, “But the Lord will arise over you, and His glory will be seen upon you. The Gentiles shall come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your rising.”

This all came after I prayed for Shalom in Jerusalem and in all of Israel. The light of the Lord is falling again on the people in His land, Israel, and it is calling to the people of all nations to come to the light of His rising. Then I heard the Lord speaking about the significance of the left side. It is the side of relationships and love. Then I heard the Lord speak the words He spoke in John 13:34-35, “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

I remembered that I had also prayed to hear what the Lord is saying today, so we can say it and to see what the Lord is doing today, so we can do it. The light of the Lord is shining powerfully on those who are obedient to His commands today. We are being called to love as He loves today. I heard the Lord saying, “People in darkness cannot receive what you teach or preach today. You will only cause offense if you do this today. Today, they will know the truth by your love. I heard the Lord saying again, “By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. Spend time today loving others without any other kind of teaching.”

A few thoughts occurred to me: “Try it! You many like it! Try it! It will work because the Lord is in it!”

Pastor James Durham

Author: Pastor James Durham

After serving almost 30 years as an active duty army Chaplain, James retired at the rank of Colonel. Before and after his military service, he was a pastor and church planter for more than thirteen years. In 2010, James and his wife, Gloria, moved to Columbia, South Carolina in order to write books, teach seminars, and mentor many spiritual sons and daughters around the world. James is a graduate of Oklahoma State University with a Bachelors Degree in Psychology; Perkins School of Theology, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas with a Master’s degree in Theology, and the US Army Command and General Staff College.

Doug MacCallum
Doug MacCallum
June 23, 2017 9:53 AM

Amen. What really struck me was what the Lord said about the people in darkness not able to receive preaching//teaching today, but to love them today. I have felt in my spirit, for some time, that the former and latter rains are coming and we, The Bride, must patiently wait for it. James 5.7,17,18 gives a Divine time line. When The LORD is ready, He will pour out His Spirit in an unprecedented WAY! “Today” is PREPARATION TIME” for the Sons of God. Growing in His LOVE is a paramount necessity for what is coming on the Earth. 1Cor13 is a tall order. I’m still working on patience and kindness!! Without His Love, all the preaching and teaching spewing from our mouths will amount to absolutely nothing. May Jesus continue to change us and fill us with His Love that we may truly BE His Mighty Warrior Bride who is prepared and ready when He sounds the charge!! GLORY!!!

Bonnie Paasch
Bonnie Paasch
June 23, 2017 10:24 AM

Thank you for sharing this word. I have been feeling that God is trying to give me a message. I have been mentoring some youth, giving them an opportunity to ride horses and even take them to some competitions. They continually, dont show up when I have planned my entire schedule to make time for them. The are so unappreciative of anything. I was raised old school and I had to work for everything and expected to do a lot of chores. I am so thankful for how my parents raised me. These kids today just expect you to give them everything and they dont care about the horses but only want to use them for what they can give them. I get so frustrated and I am ready to just give up on all of them and I feel that they are beyond trying to make a difference. Then God gives me messages like these. More love!!! It is so hard to find the balance to where I am being an enabler and allowing these kids to minipulate and say what ever they think will bring gain to what they want, and giving up on them. I am still a work in progress and this is another message to me to find more love in my heart. Sometimes it is really hard when you are feeling used and abused.

Scott
Scott
June 24, 2017 11:12 AM

Bonnie…I feel your pain…as a former educator I have watched the decline in expectation on our children…to the point where they cannot do anything outside of using technology. Loving one another includes rebuking, disciplining, and etc. It does not mean you have to enable children by doing everything for them…which creates dependency. Loving them means you continue to accept them & forgive them no matter if they try to manipulate, use & etc…accepting them after rebuke, discipline & etc. My suggestion would be to continue to offer horse activities to these children…but only include them on activities that you are doing anyway…whether they show up or not. If you are going on a trail ride…if one kid shows up…you and they are benefiting and you are not frustrated because you are doing what you planned all along.

Thomas Nodoubt
Thomas Nodoubt
June 24, 2017 1:23 PM

Bonnie, I can empathize with you. I have had the similar thing happening to me, as I attempt to provide a place for coming together and appreciating what we’ve been given by God, the (what do I call them?) those who come but to steal, kill and destroy like their father seem to show up first. I try to keep myself encouraged with the thought that the deceivers come first but the true believers will show up in His timing. Sometimes, it seems, that is just wishful thinking but inside of me, I know, that, as I, and we continue to seek Him, …no good thing does He withhold from those who walk up rightly with Him.

Tim
Tim
June 24, 2017 12:55 PM

Bonnie,
God will bless you for helping and caring.
The hard times that will give these kids 2 month’s worth of learning in 1 week are coming.

Mikey H
Mikey H
June 23, 2017 7:16 AM

Thanks Pastor, powerful Word, Bless the Lord.
Love NEVER fails …. Amen !!

michelle Gibson
michelle Gibson
June 23, 2017 6:42 AM

Wow this sure hits home with me. I have a friend that I have been trying to get back to the Lord, and this is how the Lord showed me to do it.

Scott
Scott
June 24, 2017 11:27 AM

Pastor James…great word. I also see the darkness falling on the church itself. My pastor gives a great bible based sermon…but he does not demonstrate the light and love you describe. He is not a “shepherd”. When we first adopted an abused teen age girl…we turned to him for help…and he didn’t want any part of “counseling” our family. Its sad to say…but I do not need my pastor anymore. I have grown enough in my faith that my own light shines through. I have turned to Z3, Robert Morris, Johnathan Cahn, Patricia Green, & others for my spiritual growth. Many people in my church come to me versus our pastor for discussion of the spiritual.

BTW…great session on Sid Roth!

Mike M
Mike M
June 24, 2017 10:12 AM

Thank you for this word Pastor Durham. God bless you. I sometimes feel like maybe I should be doing more than I’m doing right now in terms of outreach – yet am reminded to just continue to walk in love and to be salt and light to a dark and hurting world. The great harvest is approaching!

Scott
Scott
June 24, 2017 11:47 AM

Mike…Once I realized that time is short (my eyes and ears were opened)…I started feeling this desire to do outreach. And it was a very strong & urgent impression. I spent 25+ years being selfish and I felt an urgent need to do more. I started with our church food distribution…I try to make it at least once a month (it occurs during work hours) to carry food for disabled and elderly. I still felt like that wasn’t enough…so now I mentor at our homeless shelter. I was assigned 4 men…I was told they often don’t show up…expect to have weeks where no one shows up. That has not happened. All 4 consistently show up each week…I credit that to the joy I try to bring each week. I have started taking each of them out separately to eat…one person once a week. Just this one little act of love has bonded our group together and we are now celebrating each others accomplishments. I would highly recommend to anyone to get out there and serve…I have gotten just as much out of it as those I serve. God Bless!

Lorie Richards
June 24, 2017 6:45 AM

Unfortunately, the conservative right that put Trump in office, mistakenly believes that he will “make America great again.” It’s nearing the End of all things and God’s judgement upon this nation has begun… and most don’t even realize it. The bible says “But he that is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.” 1 Cor 2:15 Most people don’t love anymore, not like Jesus commanded us. All we do is judge one another and throw stones.

Christopher
Christopher
June 23, 2017 5:39 PM

I have seen this more often than not in my ministry. It’s heart breaking to see the enemy shut people down to the truth, at times you can almost see satan clapping his hands over their ears and confusing their minds. Soon enough that will change.

Tim
Tim
June 24, 2017 12:52 PM

Christopher, very good observation.
Jesus said “many are called, but few are chosen”

So people have their own free will, and yet God know who will choose eternal life with Jesus and who won’t.

The Bible says ‘God will wipe away every tear from their eyes’ referring to people who get into Heaven.

Remember if any of the pagans would show up in Heaven as they are now, it would’t be Heaven:)

God bless you.

N Adams
N Adams
June 23, 2017 5:00 PM

Pastor James, I also have been hearing from the Lord to love people more! Listen to them and smile more, I cannot preach or teach to those that do not want to listen. I have been under such attacks over the past few months. I have gone “quite” in my spirit and with the Lord leading me He is telling me right now, Just love them!! If I am out and about town, and can buy a cold drink for the person behind me in line or if I am asked for a dollar, I give it. I have even have had the privilege to buy some a hot meal!!! I am enjoying my walk with the Lord more right now, because I can show the Fathers love to any one and it is wonderful to share that. I find myself looking forward to going out into store or laundry mat and looking for someone to bless with Fathers love!! No words, just kind simple acts, there are a lot of hurting people and you don’t have to look far to find someone who needs a hug, kind word or even a bag of chips!. It goes a long way in todays world…PRAYER: I love you Lord for Loving us, I will follow you Lord with your commandment to Love others. Praise our King!!!

sharine
sharine
June 24, 2017 9:54 PM

This is harder than it seems . . .believers are debating over the Word on the internet. Most of the remnant is already on the internet, so the question is how do believers have real fellowship in these strange times we live in?

June 25, 2017 12:03 AM

I believe righteousness is the key that solves so many other things. If we devote ourselves to walking uprightly and seeking God daily, He will take care of everything else, including connecting us with the people He wants us connected with for fellowship and to assist us in completing our assignments. (Matthew 6:33)