Crypto currency account balances wiped out by avoidable mistakes

For the past couple of weeks, I’ve been getting a crash course in crypto currency trading and still have a lot to learn, but this market is clearly still just getting started. It’s like an untamed frontier, the wild west, so traders must be careful and protect themselves, avoiding costly mistakes.

Some traders recently reported disturbing news, finding their account balances transferred to someone else, leaving them with nothing. However, further investigation revealed it was almost always due to their own dumb mistakes, not caused by the exchange, which is good news because we can easily avoid those mistakes.

In response to complaints posted in Cryptopia’s forum, a member of their staff investigated and replied with some great insights, identifying what we can do to keep our accounts secure.

Use a Unique Password:

Don’t use the same password used at other accounts with the same email address. That’s a potential security problem if hackers get the info from the other site, so always use a unique password for each exchange. Don’t use passwords that are easy to guess. Use a random string of meaningless characters. Software programs are available to generate secure passwords with long strings of unique combinations. The longer it is, the harder it is to break.

Use a Unique Email Address:

Email addresses can get compromised, especially if they’ve been used on lots of other sites. Millions of them have already been compromised. Find out if yours has by entering it at hacked-emails.com or haveibeenpwned.com. Even if it hasn’t been compromised yet, there’s always a chance it could be in the future, so it is recommended to use a dedicated email address, unique for each exchange, so hackers can’t find it.

After learning about this idea, I created a new email account, but when I logged into my Cryptopia account, I discovered the only way to change my account email address is by opening a support ticket, but due to the recent surge in trading, the expected wait time for receiving replies to support tickets is 12 days.

Avoid Phishing Sites:

Thieves create dummy sites that look identical to the exchange site, hoping to lure unsuspecting victims to enter their account email address and password. Once they have that, they log into your account and transfer your coins to their account. We can avoid this trap by paying close attention to the website address line, which appears at the top of our web browsers. This fraudulent scheme is called phishing. The phishing site looks like the real site, but their address is slightly different, using a different domain extension, as shown in the example below.

Always use two-factor authentication:

In addition to passwords, most exchanges require a second authentication for logging in and transferring coins. The extra steps are a hassle, but we should never disable them because they might be our last line of defense in the event our password is compromised.

Avoid Transferring Coins to the Wrong Address:

Some Cryptopia traders complained about losing their coins and some even filed complaints against the exchange, but Cryptopia investigated and discovered what really happened was the trader entered the wrong address when transferring their coins because they were transferring coins Cryptopia doesn’t even offer and therefore cannot receive.

Cryptopia Company Info:

In addition, in replying to these concerns, Cryptopia provided the following helpful information about their company and their security practices.

We are a NZ registered company, one of the few exchanges in the business that actually freely says who we are and where we are, we are not going to take off with user funds ever. Our founders set up the company specifically to be an exchange that is above board and does things the right way, after one of the ones they used disappeared. They have worked extremely hard to get where we are and looking after customer funds is an absolute priority.

There was a significant increase in suspicious login attempts on Cryptopia around the time this happened to you. As the vast majority of these attempts fail this indicates our account level security measures have not been breached. The systems we have in place to protect user accounts do not allow for passwords to be accessed, shown, retrieved or otherwise displayed in any form which includes internal sources. Nobody can ever retrieve your password from our system, even if we went and gave them the database, this includes Cryptopia staff members.

In almost every case of login attempts we are seeing the corresponding email address showing up on reported data leaks, and/or is being used for other internet services.

Note I have checked the users posting on this forum thread, and all of you appear to have had your details compromised on other sites. (see complete post)

Conclusion:

By avoiding these mistakes, we can make our trading much more secure, but we cannot completely avoid all risks, which are still higher than other types of investments, enough to convince many to stay far away. So why would anyone get in? For me, there’s only one reason, following the leading of the Holy Spirit.

After reading many great testimonies of profits made by other Z3ers trading crypto currencies, I held off on it until I received the go ahead from God about two weeks ago. Regardless of the risks and the increased persecution from other so-called Christians, there’s no safer place than right in the middle of His will, following His leading, doing what He instructs. I don’t expect to lose my coins, but if I do, I’ll take comfort in knowing I was on the path He chose for me. I don’t look at it as putting my life at risk, just putting it more completely in His hands, right where I want to be. Like the song says,

Have thine own way Lord, have thine own way.
Thou art the potter, I am the clay.

Thanks to Z3er Sonia for sharing the links to the Cryptopia forum comments.

Vicki
Vicki
December 31, 2017 9:48 AM

Out of all of the valuable information you shared on this post, the most important was: “Regardless of the risks …there’s no safer place than right in the middle of His will, following His leading, doing what He instructs… I don’t look at it as putting my life at risk, just putting it more completely in His hands, right where I want to be…”

Amen!!

Matt NZ
Matt NZ
December 31, 2017 3:12 AM
Michael
Michael
December 31, 2017 11:35 AM

Hi Matt
Good find. It is consistent with JB’s four seasons of the Dollar.

Todd Henderson
Todd Henderson
January 1, 2018 1:27 AM

I have noticed prophecies are happening much quicker and Jeff is accurate. This all seems to be coming together. There was mention of the event possibly around the Super Bowl. Go figure. The state most people will be in and Satan will have all eyes on the TV to instill fear.

Ed H
Ed H
December 31, 2017 11:22 AM

Yes there are quite a few CCC , Christian Crypto Critics, on here. How come the Lord has given us dreams and visions about these? One good reason could be because the stock markets are so rigged it’s almost impossible to make money.

When the marketcap hits 1Trillion I expect huge moves on the price actions of these currencies. I also believe alot of stock traders will get on board at that level as well. There might even be big hedge funds moving over soon. These markets have evolved form buying pizza with BTC to bigtime investors with deep pockets.
There is no reason some of these cryptos could not see gains beyound our imagination.

Psalm 90:17 May your favor be on us, Lord our God; make our endeavors successful; yes, make our endeavors secure!

Corrine
Corrine
December 31, 2017 9:24 PM

Ed H, I’m thinking ‘wise as a serpent, harmless as a dove ‘ !! We want to be good servants with the money the Lord has given us, cryptos are a once in a lifetime opportunity!! Happy New Year to everyone!! Blessings, Corrine

michael c
michael c
January 1, 2018 1:29 AM

Hi Ed H, Thanks for the link- Is the maximum 15k in a wire?

ed h
January 2, 2018 7:27 PM

Not sure on coinbase but Gemini has no limits.

michael c
michael c
December 31, 2017 7:42 PM

Hi Ed H, I know this is a simple question but how do I wire money to
Coinbase so that funds are available immediately. I cannot find the instructions
on the site. Thank you for your help.

Kelly W.
Kelly W.
January 1, 2018 11:54 AM

If you pump up a credit card and use it, it is immediate, with slightly higher fees. However, you can only use about $750 a week unless you can somehow raise your limit. Your purchase in bank account ATCH holds at that price but is not available for about a week. If you send a wire transfer, be careful. I am still waiting 2 weeks for mine to post into my account. God willing it will find its way.

darrell
darrell
January 1, 2018 4:27 PM

which exchange did u do the bank wire? do u think its your bank holding funds or the exchange?

Richard
Richard
December 31, 2017 11:15 PM

The fastest way is using a debit card. With that you can buy immediately but may be charged 3.5%. You’ll probably be limited to $500 initially.

Ed H
Ed H
December 31, 2017 8:02 PM

Michael,
I did a test run the first time I tried it. Cost me $30 to send $100 but wanted to make sure I did it right. I use Gemini and if I do it before 2pm est it funds the same day during the week. Because its a weekend and a holiday it might not fund until Tues.

Ed H
Ed H
December 31, 2017 7:55 PM

Michael,
Here you go.

Rich L
Rich L
December 31, 2017 2:29 AM

Best to get up to speed on crypto-awareness or you will be left behind soon, the past year gave us a glimpse of what to expect, there may be a short window —
meaning the next 3-12 months to make the most of it! Then, who knows.

December 31, 2017 4:56 PM

New Crypto revelation ( LISK)
This morning I had a short vision ..I was looking at a computer screen about to purchase a crypto called Lisk (LSK) because it’s about to begin a bullish run. With everything please seek the Lord. LISK is its own Blockchain like ETH.

Shalom

Jay
Jay
January 1, 2018 12:01 AM

Lisk is going to be rebranded during the second half of February. Might be a good buy.

January 1, 2018 4:12 PM

Looks like it Jay.
Remember the days ETH was only $20. Nice Lisk video

michael c.
michael c.
January 1, 2018 9:03 PM

Hi Phanuel, Do you like LTC at todays price? What exchange do you buy LISK on? Thank you Phanuel.

January 1, 2018 9:37 PM

Hi Michael C
Litecoin just broke its upper trendline at 231 and its going higher

You can buy Lisk here

Shalom

JDpeet33
January 2, 2018 1:01 PM

Buy LSK using Polymath?
Thanks for the tip on XLR Phanuel. JD

January 2, 2018 2:46 PM

Hi JD
I bought mine on Binance.com, it’s an excellent exchange . I think LSK is consolidating at $ 20-22, so good entry point .

Shalom

JDpeet33
January 2, 2018 2:11 PM

Trying to find out where to create account at the exchange link you gave. There are links there for Changelly and Polymath…
Looks like when I click on buy LSK it takes me to Changelly to buy LSK but to sign up here did not involve any security features such as dual confirmation, just and email address and password. Is that good enough or will more there be more security features. Proceeding it asks for my LSK wallet address. Quite different from other exchanges. How do I create a LSK wallet and is that an online wallet as secure as MEW? Thanks, JD

Jim Reeve
Jim Reeve
January 2, 2018 3:17 PM

I’m not sure what you’re doing. Polymath is an advertising banner on cryptomarketcap. The link PH provided shows a whole list of exchanges. You’re supposed to reference that list and select. I use Binance for LSK and TRX. JR

JDpeet33
January 2, 2018 4:52 PM

Thanks Jim. That’s what I thought cryptomarketcap was for but I saw a link where you could buy at that site and it confused me. I am familiar with and have a Binance account and will go there. JD

January 2, 2018 3:33 PM

Hi JDpeet
JR is right. I also use Binance.
It’s an excellent exchange. I think LSK is consolidating at $21, hence a good entry.
M

Shalom

David Mann
January 1, 2018 5:43 PM

Hi There James,
Yesterday at the heart church here in the uk in the morning I really felt the lords presence which took my breath away as I was praying for Abbie with two girls in fact it was all the way through the service.
While singing and praising the Lord ,the showed me a picture from King World News from December 26th Silver,Gold and the mining stocks are headed into the stratosphere in 2018 so I knew straight away silver is poised for a bull run this year at some point probably sooner rather than later which is the first time God as spoke to me about silver.
James expect a bull run in silver to start this year as I believe it’s comming also while reading the last two posts by Christine Beadsworth I felt an up lift in spirit about cryptos as I am Luke warm on them and believe they are entering the mainer phase but I respect what the Lord as shown Christine and you James as well as CH on this so I am still pondering whether to take the plunge.
During the California gold rush the people who made money where the ones who surplyed the picks and shovels,the service providers.
In the case of cryptos I think it will be the service providers again the ones who provide the block chain any thoughts on this James.

Expat Gal
Expat Gal
January 1, 2018 9:33 AM

Concerning article on Zero Hedge – https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-30/australian-banks-reportedly-freeze-accounts-bitcoin-users

Are any Australians experiencing their cryptocurrency accounts frozen?

Steve
January 11, 2018 4:32 PM

2 things have happened to me so far in the last week.
1. When they froze the LTC on cryptopia I was stuck with PAC. It is now only worth half of what I paid with a big backlog of sell orders. I also delayed selling which I should have put my order in right away.
2. Sent ENT from cryptopia to my paper wallet. I approved and it was confirmed by me. The next day it is still in my cryptopia account. Looking at the history it said wallet maintenance.
The point is there are many glitches so play it as safe as possible and take James as well as others advice.

MOSES
MOSES
January 2, 2018 11:25 PM

PPT Bigger Than VERI according to Clif High

For those who were shrewd enough to buy some PPT when it recently reached it’s end of the year lows here is some good news:

January 1, 2018 11:22 PM

wow
people paying $26..for XLR on Kucoin exchange

January 1, 2018 11:34 PM

XLR
Now $31(high)….well I saw it at $25 on 12/30/17…that was quick! I have seen a few numbers. The next number on my list is $159 (no dates shown).

shalom

MOSES
MOSES
January 2, 2018 2:59 AM

After getting a bunch on my birthday for $1:64, I finished getting what I needed at $11:50 per coin on New Years Eve. Looks like I made the right move at the right time just before they started rocketing. I can’t wait until they get to $1,000 per coin, if that is their destiny. MOSES

January 2, 2018 8:38 AM

Blessings Moses
that was a great birthday gift from our dear Father.
Lisk is another gift.

shalom

Philip - Sydney
Philip - Sydney
January 2, 2018 8:06 PM

Hi Phanuel,

A BIG THANKS from me for XLR.
I don’t have a huge amount but VERY happy so far. Long term hold till late 2018. If it goes to $50 I’ll be jumping for joy
Best wishes for 2018 to you and all Z3 readers.
Thanks be to God. 2017 was a bad year for me financially.
Phil B –
Sydney
*** COBINHOOD hopefully will recover back to 50cents

January 3, 2018 9:24 AM

Blessings Phil from Sydney!
shalom

MOSES
MOSES
January 2, 2018 7:30 PM

Yes, but it was more than a birthday gift, and I will have to explain that in the future after the other reason has fully completed its purpose of restoration. MOSES

P.S. I got some Lisk also. 🙂

Joshua B
Joshua B
January 2, 2018 6:59 AM

Blessed new year, Phanuel. Your insight and sharing has weight, and I got into XLR several weeks ago. Will you remain in XLR or do you expect a drop before going to $159?

January 2, 2018 8:05 AM

Hi Joshua B
Happy New Year….I plan to remain in XLR for a long time. I will take some profits though. I think a good time to take some profits will be around $46-50.. that will be around the 1.618 fibonacci extension for this move up. However, it could keep climbing and get to $159 ..and that will be a good profit taking point.

shalom

Richard
Richard
January 2, 2018 9:10 PM

Phanuel – I pulled the XLR chart and overlay-ed it on my Think or Swim charting platform (which is a pain), which showed a high of $38 today
at 261% Fib (which I’m not sure it quite hit), then a retrace which should hold of $25 at the 100% Fib. If it doesn’t lose $25, then we should be headed to the 423% Fib which is $50. If for some reason we blew through $50, the next stop would be $83.
As always Fibonacci charting is an art, so we’ll see.
Do you have easier way of running Fibs on these coins?
This was definitely an Eph 3:20 day.
God bless brother!

January 3, 2018 9:23 AM

Hi Richard,
I just plug numbers into a fibonacci calculator. I saw $19 this morning…so we may pull back to $18-19. I also saw green 120. I now think we are heading above $80 esp if we pull back to $19.

shalom