Top Ten Inverse ETF Growth Performance Results

crashThe Dow’s 588 point drop yesterday (Aug 24) provides us with a one-day test drive for the coming market crash.

The following list provides a ranking of the growth results for the top ten fastest growing 3X inverse ETF’s. For each ETF the corresponding index or benchmark is shown along with yesterday’s growth rate.

1. DRIP – Daily S&P Oil and Gas Exploration, +17.39%
  2. ERY – S&P Energy Select Sector Index, +16.21%
  3. FAZ – Russell 1000 Financial Services, +14.25%
  4. DRV – MSCI US REIT Index, +14.10%
  5. WDRW – Solactive US Regional Banks, +14.04%
  6. EDZ – MSCI Emerging Markets Index, +13.38%
  7. CLAW – Dow Jones US Select Home Construction, +12.82%
  8. TZA – Russell 2000 Small Cap Index, +11.37%
  9. TECS – S&P Technology Select Sector Index, +11.26%
  10. DPK – MSCI EAFE Index, +9.73%

The top two fastest growth results came from the energy sector, which has been hurt badly this year by lower prices for oil and gas. However, this sector could recover quickly if energy supplies are reduced by wars or natural disasters.

ETF’s based on the financial sector also performed very well, including FAZ and WDRW. Bank stocks sold off more sharply than the rest of the market. The KBW Bank Index fell 5.44% while the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell by 3.6%. Yesterday was the worst performance for the bank-stock index since November 2011.

Historical data shows the financial sector typically leads the way down during market crashes, so it makes sense FAZ and WDRW would both perform well. FAZ is based on a broader index of the Russell 1000 Financial Services while WDRW provides a more focused vehicle for targeting regional banks. Given the vulnerability of regional banks during the coming crash WDRW should perform very well. For anyone who already owns FAZ and wants to diversify their portfolio, WDRW looks like a good candidate to consider. It closed yesterday at $53.70 per share.

© 2015, Z3 News. The first 200 words of Z3 News articles may be shared online in exchange for a clickable link to our site. Please include the author name and do not make any changes to text or titles. No image files from our site may be shared because we don’t own them. For permission to use our content in other formats, please contact us.

Diana
Diana
October 21, 2015 1:59 PM

James, please excuse my ignorance here, as one who until recently, has only invested in mutual funds, etc. Am I the only one that doesn’t understand why, when you look at the price history of FAZ, it was astronomical during the beginning of 2009. It shows as being over $20,000 a few times, then the price came down gradually as stocks began to “recover.” The amounts I’m hearing here of potential increase during a crash doesn’t hold a candle to what has happened in the past. Would you please enlighten me, as I’m obviously missing something. Thank you!

Jon
October 18, 2015 11:15 AM

My wife and I have recently invested in FAZ several times. Interesting that each time we had a God incident and small sign and wonder to confirm that it was in His will. I know this FAZ rocket is going to really take off! I had a feeling for a couple of days about Ananias and Sapphira. Possibly a warning that if people make a commitment of this transference of wealth to the Lord, then they better carry it through.

George
George
October 21, 2015 10:39 AM
Hi Jon, I love it when God confirms to us that we are in His will. I like to call it a God “wink”. I wanted to share with you and all others who have invested in FAZ what we should expect to happen when it happens. I purchased some FAZ and look forward to what James saw and described as it taking off straight up. Thank you James for sharing your vision and for all your hard work. The reality of the numbers is going to be based on the trading curbs that the market has put into place following previous downturns. There is currently a rule that calls for a halt to trading in the market when the market drops 20 %. The Russell 1000 would see a similar decrease. That means that FAZ could go up around 60 % on that day. This could happen for several days in a row as people sell off to avoid further losses. This means that FAZ could likely see a 60% increase for several days in a row. From a current value of $44, it could go to around $70, then to around $112 and then to around $180 after 3 days of this market madness. It could keep going but by this time the market will have decreased from the current 17,000 level to around the 8700 level. That would be a big correction and may start to level off at that point. What this means is that a $1000 investment at $44 could increase to around $4000 after the 3 days of a 20% correction. That would be a blessing and I agree with you that we need to use this transference of wealth to help the Kingdom. Blessings!
Rob
Rob
October 18, 2015 1:11 PM

Amen, yes I believe very much that God holds us accountable to what we tell him.

Grant
Grant
October 18, 2015 10:12 AM

James,
I seldom have dreams…at least prophetic in nature. However last evening I had a second dream where all I see is an image. Last evening’s was an image (or screenshot) where it showed that gold went up $60 and that NUGT (3x Major miners ETF) went up 75%. Both of these times that I saw this type of “screen shot” the image was “wedged” into my normal dream state and only lasted long enough for me to get the message before it quickly faded back into my normal dream state of completely unrelated subject manner. I realize that much of the investment discussions center around FAZ or the USD/Swiss Franc currency trades. I would not object to seeing more discussions on other ETFs (such as DUST, JNUG,NUGT,JDST….all gold/silver miners 3X ETFs.) These funds can move quite fast during any given day when the markets turn….at times it is sort of like skiing on ice. Comments on this type of “dream” are welcomed.

Jemba
Jemba
September 2, 2015 7:46 PM

Thanks George, that makes sense. As James had pointed out earlier, the splits do not affect the value of the account though the nominal value will be different. But by going by the example you gave from last week, the 14% drop in Russell 1000 and corresponding 42% increase in FAZ is a 3:1 ratio.

Jemba
Jemba
August 28, 2015 8:54 PM

There’s one piece i’m still unsure of when it comes to FAZ stock. From the literature I see, its makes 3 times (300%) of the for each drop. ie $1 dollar loss will result in $3 dollar gain. However, I was looking at the 5 year historical FAZ chart and in 2011, on Feb 11, 2011 it was $30. Then a couple of months later, in September, it was $276. That is an increase by a factor of 9 versus a factor of 3 which it advertises. Can anybody explain the discrepancy?

George
George
September 2, 2015 3:48 PM

Jemba, There was a 1 to 5 split in late February 2011. Yahoo Finance shows the value around 150. You show 30 on your Google chart. Then it went to around 270 in Sept 2011 due to the decline of the stocks that it followed during August and September of that year. There was another 1 to 4 split in April 2013. And they are planning a 1 to 4 reverse split on September 10, next week. A good example of what to expect with FAZ happened last week. The Russell 1000 dropped 14 % and FAZ went up 42%. (From 10.21 to 14.43) To add to the confusion, FAZ is currently around 13 and will be changed to around the 52 level due to the reverse split on 9/10. Hope that helps.

phil
phil
August 26, 2015 8:51 PM

The 1 to 4 reverse split will take place at the market open on September 10. The value of the account will not change as James said just as the percentage move won’t change. If a stock moved 10% up before Sept 10 for a $20 stock which is $2, the corresponding move after Sept 10 is also 10% but the stock will move up $8 for a $80 stock since there are now 75% less shares outstanding. I hope this helps. In my opinion, I think it is timely as the meat of the correction will be from mid September to the end of the month due to a bigger deceleration than normal of monetary flows of its seasonal downswing.

Mary Dahn
Mary Dahn
August 26, 2015 6:20 PM

I received a notice from FAZ that they were going to exchange four shares of FAZ stock for one share. Should we sell FAZ? the reverse split ratio is 1 to 4. will ocure Sept 9, 1025. What do you think. Mary Dahn, Canton, Michigan

Brad
Brad
August 26, 2015 5:54 PM

I think that God may have revealed to me to buy Faz at 10.14
Can not say this for sure, but I’m praying for confirmation.

Philip - Sydney
Philip - Sydney
August 26, 2015 5:00 PM

HI Weather
Also got badly hit on uSDCHF shorts. Down $3000 now.
Stronger than expected bear trap rally.
will look at adding to shorts once I see schaff indicator heading back under 75 on Hourly chart.
Stay calm. God Is with us

regards
Phil
Yes James it’s FAZ not KAZ sorry

Bill Weather
August 26, 2015 4:28 PM

Well did I get slapped around in the market today. Dow up 600 points….. sheeesh, this is a roller coaster. Fridays are usually sell days, so I think that’s the next dip…. good call yesterday, bad call today…..man, I need To hear better. The enemy was telling me all dayy to hold. Someone say a prayer for me

Jeff
Jeff
August 26, 2015 7:57 PM

Yes a down day (if you’re short)………… One of those days when you shake your head because there was no reason for it. At least an opportunity for some to add more FAZ….. Thought I should take advantage and bought some QQQ puts just before the close……Also some SLV otm calls. God bless everyone here. Coming to this site is like a peaceful oasis…… Only way to explain it….