Technical Analysis Charts Help Uncover Profitable Trading Opportunities

Patterns are all around us, occurring in the physical structure of plants and animals, in historical events, in the alignment of stars and planets, and even in financial markets. By recognizing market patterns, we can reduce the risks associated with trading. This post provides some technical charts that can help uncover those patterns so we can make more profitable trades. These charts don’t eliminate all the risks, but they give us a higher probability of success.

To get started, I created 43 technical charts and many more can be added later. They’re organized in groups and sorted alphabetically, as shown in the following list:

Example Chart – S&P – 1 hour

How to Use These Charts:
Each chart shows the market price surrounded by a green area, as shown in the example above for the S&P market measured in one-hour increments (click on the chart to see a larger version). The green area is based on Bollinger Bands, which are based on a simple moving average. The outer edges of the green area are always two standard deviations away from the current moving average, so the price rarely leaves this area, but whenever it does, it indicates we might have a good buying or selling opportunity.

We can combine Bollinger Bands with other data, such as the horizontal red lines, which are pivot points. The chart provides five updated pivot points for each time period, whether it’s a week or a month, which include two resistance points above the market price and two support levels below. The middle line is the pivot point. So if the market price moves outside the green area and above the resistance level or below the support level, then we have a double confirmation of a good trade.

These charts also show the 200-day, 50-day, and 10-day moving averages, so we can see short term and long term trend changes, which helps us see the overall direction of price movements. For example, the higher the 200-day moving average (green line) gets above the shorter trends (purple and pink lines), the stronger the probability of a bearish move down in prices. The lower the 200-day moving average gets below the shorter trends, the stronger the probability of a bullish move up in prices. In the above chart for the S&P market, the 200-day average is mostly below the shorter trend lines, which indicates bullishness, but in the last few days, it has moved above the short term trends, showing a shift toward bearishness.

A quick scan of the chart shows good trading opportunities are rare, so it requires patience, but at least we won’t be losing money while we’re waiting. We might also miss some opportunities along the way, but the ones we take will have a higher probability for success. While we’re waiting for those trades, we can set up other charts to track many more potential trades, increasing the likelihood of finding good ones.

The far right side of each chart shows a zoomed in view of the current price and moving averages. The prices are supposed to update in real time during market hours, but I’m still working with the provider (Stockcharts.com) because so far the prices have only updated when I refresh the page. Hopefully, that will get resolved soon.

Navigating is easy, thanks to the drop down list shown in the top right corner of each page which provides links to every other chart. If you want to add new items, please let me know and I’ll do my best to get them added. All the usual time increments are available from one minute to monthly. I’m also hoping to add a drop down list in the right column on all Z3 pages soon.

God has great plans for a big harvest of souls coming into His kingdom before He returns, but it’s going to require big money to pay for it. I believe that’s what this is all about. These charts can help us turn on the lights in what sometimes seems like a dark room. I believe it shows how God is helping us, giving us upgraded tools for an upgraded season. Without His help, we would remain in the dark, but it is Him who gives us the power to make wealth (Deuteronomy 8:18).

Scripture References:

“I will give you the treasures of darkness and hidden wealth of secret places, so that you may know that it is I, the Lord, the God of Israel, who calls you by your name. (Isaiah 45:3)

4 “Lift up your eyes round about and see; they all gather together, they come to you. Your sons will come from afar, and your daughters will be carried in the arms.
5 “Then you will see and be radiant, and your heart will thrill and rejoice; because the abundance of the sea will be turned to you, the wealth of the nations will come to you. (Isaiah 60:4-5)

It is the blessing of the Lord that makes rich, and He adds no sorrow to it. (Proverbs 10:22)

Great wealth is in the house of the righteous, but trouble is in the income of the wicked. (Proverbs 15:6)

July 16, 2017 10:16 AM

Crypto Update (Buying opportunities):
The crypto sentiment is very bearish implying we are getting to the bottom.

Bitcoin- it looks like we will see bitcoin at 1591. I initially saw the number on 5/13, so its been a while. I also saw the top of 3029 around that time. I did the fibonacci ratios and it matches up. It was green 1591. The future numbers to look for are 2694, 2734, 2934, 3000. Good opportunities for profits coming. Btc at 6143 is more long term.

ETH– looks like we could get to 127.87 (seen 6/5). The next number for some profits is 360.11 seen 6/29/17. ETH at 711 and 768 is more long term.

LTC– is currently in the high 30s….a good time to take profits is at 68.15.

VERI– a good time to take some profits is at $258.

shalom!

July 17, 2017 4:38 PM
Richard
Richard
July 17, 2017 6:14 PM

What is the easiest way to buy it if I already use coinbase?

July 17, 2017 10:16 PM

Can use mercatox.com

Shalom

Richard
Richard
July 17, 2017 10:40 PM

Do I need an offline wallet? If so, which do you recommend?

July 18, 2017 5:22 AM

Use myetherwallet.com
And back it up. Use can also print paper wallet from there.

Shalom

July 18, 2017 8:16 AM

*you can also

July 18, 2017 8:20 AM

monitoring cryptos closely as we might have turned yesterday for the upside….
I had a dream that cryptos had huge bounce with lots of green

Mikey H
Mikey H
July 16, 2017 10:47 AM

Thanks for the update Phanuel.
Shalom.

July 16, 2017 3:03 PM

Your are welcome brother
Shalom!!

Mari S
Mari S
July 21, 2017 3:38 AM

Looks like I missed a good buying opportunity when LTC, ETH and maybe VERI too (I’d have to double check) dipped. Being new to this i waited to see if they would drop any lower, but now ot appears they have turned around and are quickly rising. Does anyone think there will be another dip before these really take off?

July 21, 2017 9:23 AM

Mari
Btc is going to 27478… so it’s still very cheap. Many people owning cryptos today will be millionaires in a year or two.

Shalom

Jemba
Jemba
July 21, 2017 7:08 PM

Hey Phanuel, long time brother, greetings. I wonder how the cryptos will do long term versus precious metals. Obviously short term, the cryptos have been amazing. Security wise, it looks like the cryptos being electronic by nature, are still subject to hacking in one form or another. Did you hear about the $32 million worth of ether tokens stolen not because of negligence from the owners but hackers exploited a vulnerability in the wallets. http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/20/32-million-worth-of-digital-currency-ether-stolen-by-hackers.html In the meantime, I’m keeping an eye out for ETH @ $127 that you saw for possible entry.

July 22, 2017 8:39 AM

Hi Jemba
Good to hear from you. Cryptos are here to stay. They are also long term like precious metals. The block chain technology is amazing. I always stress the importance of properly securing our cryptos. I went back to review some crypto numbers in my journal. The number 127.87 didn’t specifically have ETh attached to it ( like I normally see). I prayed about it again and have a strong urge it’s in reference to a future price of Litecoin. I saw 127.87 in my exodus wallet ( a crypto wallet). The only cryptos I own in that walllet are BtC, ETh, and LTC. We can eliminate BtC. Around the same time I also saw 711. So 711 is Eth and 127.87 is LtC. We shall see.

Blessings

July 20, 2017 8:41 PM

Crypto update
Bitcoin profit markers 2694,2734, & 2934 were fulfilled today

I’m beginning to think that green 1591 was representing the BIP 91 signaling activation. This was very bullish for bitcoin, hence all the way up to 2959.

Litecoin is going to break out soon

shalom

July 20, 2017 8:49 PM

The date July 15 represents the “15” and “91” represents BIP 91. This article dated July 15 explains the significance of BIP 91….no hard fork!

July 20, 2017 9:05 AM

Crypto Update
Saw VERI at $535. This should be another good time to take some profits.

Shalom

Mari S
Mari S
July 17, 2017 5:20 AM

Super helpful, Phanuel! Thanks so much. When you mention “taking profits… Taking some profits” when numbers reach a certain (high) point– do you mean to say that you could sell some of your crypto and take a profit… But still hold onto a large portion to realize long term gains? Let’s take Litecoin for example. I’d like to get some Litecoin now. But if it could soar past or equal to ETH in the future… Then I’ll hold onto as much as possible until that time comes, but take out small pieces of profit along the way … As needed or to diversify into other crypto and especially silver. I think that’s what you mean but I wanted to make sure and not make any assumptions. I’ve learned a lot from your posts, as well as from others here on z3. Blessings to All 🙂

July 20, 2017 10:23 AM

Very kind words Mari
Yes keep a base for longer term profits and sell some for short term profits.
For example, I plan to sell 20 percent of my Litecoin around $68. Will use some of that to buy silver and also invest in FAZ for August/September downturn. It’s a beautiful thing !

Shalom

Randall S. Lundeen
July 26, 2017 2:27 AM

Going long FAZ has been a loser from the beginning. This stock has reversed split several times in the past 10 years. That means that in a 1 for 10 reverse split every 10 shares you own turns into 1 share. So, FAZ could go down to $4.60/share, reverse split 10 to 1, price is now $46.00/share but you only have one instead of ten. FAZ could then go down to $4.60 again, reverse split again 1 for 10, and be $46.00 again. There is no end to the downside! Research has shown that a $10,000.00 investment in FAZ 8 1/2 years ago is now worth $1.52 as of 7/25/2017! You might sell FAZ @ $46.00 in the future like we’ve dreamed about, but only have one share from the 50 or 100 or 1000 that you bought. Been there/done that. As God says in Proverbs 22:3 “The prudent see danger and takes refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty”.

Mari S
Mari S
July 20, 2017 7:48 PM

Totally makes sense. I appreciate the illustration. Now in my mid 30s and with 4 children, I’m just getting into investing. I wasn’t raised that way… and am still on the beginning of the learning curve. Thanks again for sharing your insights on everything. That’s exciting what you shared today regarding VERI reaching $535! I also found your comments regarding the election and the one with the Revelation 12 cheat sheet very helpful (https://z3news.com/w/key-time-puzzle-piece-released/#comment-97893). Just wanted to encourage you to keep on sharing 🙂

Of course, I can’t go without acknowledging James and several others who share on here. What a blessing that we can all learn from one another!

ChristineB
ChristineB
July 16, 2017 10:22 PM

Thanks Phanuel for sharing all this with us!

July 17, 2017 7:48 AM

You are welcome Christine B!!
Shalom

michael p.
michael p.
July 16, 2017 9:03 PM

Hi Phanuel, Do you think Populous PPT is a long term survivor ?
What do you think about Litecoin long term? Thanks Phanuel!

July 17, 2017 7:47 AM

Michael P
Yes to PPT. Litecoin in triple digits soon.

Shalom

Jerry
Jerry
July 19, 2017 4:01 PM

Phanuel, have you seen any future prices for PPT?

July 20, 2017 8:59 AM

Jerry
Not yet brother.

Shalom

Corrine
July 16, 2017 4:20 PM

Thanks Phanuel!!

July 16, 2017 9:35 PM

You are welcome Corrine!
Blessings

John Smith
John Smith
July 16, 2017 4:03 PM
Greetings Z3: This is my first post in 6 months, and my last post warned that the Trump rally would likely take root, the markets may get a “stay of execution”, and I would be just be swing trading both ways. Since election night, the markets have been on a one way journey up, ha. I’ve pretty much stayed clear of the indices since January. James – This article is a very meaningful and on-point. For me, trading without my charts would be like flying at night without any instruments. Trading is basically war, and you need every strategic advantage you can get to prosper. Back in my day trading days, It took me many years to transition from trading just a couple of symbols to trading multiple indices, to automated trading, an then to swing trading commodities and currencies. As you mentioned risk reduction, I now look at about 50 different symbols to find what I consider trades with the highest odds of success, which allows me to avoid biased markets (like the indices over the last 6 months), choppy, or trendless markets, and then wait for high-odds setups I’m familiar with. I pretty much now just swing trade (trades lasting 3 days to 3 or more weeks) and have my charts setup to evaluate multiple time frames, which is a very important point to those learning TA. The time frames I watch include the weekly, daily, 300 min, 120 min, and 60/90 minute charts with the additional indicators I like best. Of those, I always use Bollinger bands (100 ma + 2SD), MAs (50, 100, 150, 200, and 300) as well as 3 or 4 more indicators. Evaluating which time frames to use becomes a personal preference that one should evaluate carefully to see which ones best fit… Read more »
Ed H
Ed H
July 17, 2017 8:54 PM

Hey John, welcome back Puetz pal.

John Smith
John Smith
July 18, 2017 12:26 AM

Hey Ed H. Thanks. I’m warming up my Puetz charts for hopefully a winning round this year. Swore off shorting the indices until the late Summer/Autumn period, ha. Hope you’re doing good.

Ed H
Ed H
July 13, 2017 7:23 PM

James,
Thanks for this. If we learn to read the charts and find patterns it really helps to lower risk and gives us a higher probability of success. When the prophetic and the technicals line up it gets even better and exciting like Silver right now.
William O’Niel is a good source, Lance at gorilla stock trading and The pattern site are great.Also Youtube

This way we can all compare notes and take the bull by the horns. BtW SLV puts today 08/18 14.5P up 27%.
Sold SLV calls yesterday for 24% All based on your dreams and the technicals telling the same story. Thanks to Richard for helping me with the fibannoci.

What I’m looking forward to is seeing UVXY at 25 , that will be awesome because today it hit 52w lows. 8.84

Jerry
Jerry
July 13, 2017 5:22 PM
The CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) dipped into single-digit territory earlier today — hitting an intraday low of 9.93 — but was last seen at 10.03. This lackluster action just echoes the longer-term trend of the market’s “fear gauge.” Minus a few pops to the 15 and 16 marks in recent months, VIX has stayed relatively range-bound near multi-decade lows, and could be on track for its lowest average close in history in 2017, according to data from Schaeffer’s Senior Quantitative Analyst Rocky White. Nevertheless, one VIX options trader yesterday bet big on a short-term volatility spike. Within the first hour of trading on Wednesday, two symmetrical 100,000-contract blocks of August 30 and 35 calls changed hands on VIX. Per Trade-Alert, this is a result of a long call spread initiated for an initial cash outlay of $500,000 ([$0.13 premium paid for 30 strike, less $0.08 premium collected for 30 strike] * 100,000-contract spread * 100 shares per contract). Overnight open interest translations support this theory. If this is the case, the options trader is expecting August VIX futures to surge to 35 by VIX options expiration on Wednesday, Aug. 16. This would result in a maximum profit of almost $50 million for the spread strategist, though they will begin to profit on a move north of breakeven at 30.05 (bought call strike plus $0.05 net debit). Risk, meanwhile, is limited to the initial premium paid. VIX hasn’t printed above 30 since Feb. 11, 2016 — fueled higher by a Fed-inspired sell-off in global stocks — and 35 since Aug. 25, 2015. However, a recent VIX options indicator suggested speculators are growing more bullish with their volatility bets, with vertical spreads seemingly in vogue. Given the current low-volatility regime, it’s more than possible that this recent VIX options activity is a… Read more »
July 14, 2017 4:02 PM

Dow 21813 is coming………

William
William
July 14, 2017 8:05 PM

Phanuel,
Are you saying that Dow is going to get to 21813 in a couple of days , then going down big? Can you share more please?

July 15, 2017 6:38 AM
Mike C
Mike C
July 17, 2017 6:08 AM

Re-read those comments. SPX 2560 on this leg up before dropping?
That seems more like a Wave 5 top, and we are still in Wave 3. From a TA perspective, 2466 seems like a likely top here before heading down, then up again, and I thought at one point you saw 2466.When it passed the double-top previous high on Friday, my immediate thought was it’s going to 2466. Will have to keep an eye on it over the next few days. We could potentially see a blow-off top this morning, with a big wave down, breaking below 2400 (to ~2276) then back up higher, to a final high near the eclipse date, August 21, then down a few days later.

July 17, 2017 8:04 AM

Hi Mike C
Wherever we are in August it seems we drop 18 floors. Seems the dates are more important than the S&P and Dow values. I gave a rough estimate based off 2100 and FAZ @42 being related.

Shalom

William
William
July 16, 2017 11:50 PM

Phanuel,
Thank for sharing these prophetic information. This time I ask this question is that JB is aiming at uvxy 15 ( 60 after reverse split), deeming that the market will have a drop of certain point ( such as 100 points). A lot of numbers you see are the number to turn after that. So I just hoping that this time when it get to 21813, then market will turn down. Hopefully it will get to the point of uvxy 60. That at that point I’ll long the market. ( I intend to get into uvxy on Monday, then sell it before it gets to 60 — after reverse split).

July 17, 2017 7:57 AM

Hi William
Its possible to have a smaller drop and then a larger drop (as we only see in part). From my standpoint, the August dates are more important than the actual S&P or Dow values, because it looks like wherever we are at that point we still drop 18 floors. I’m planning to go short between August 21-24 depending on the landscape.

Shalom

William
William
July 17, 2017 8:17 AM

Phanuel,
Thank for the sharing. I’m planning to go short between August 21-24 as well, as it is the main chance for many Z3ers ( who have not gone into cryptocurrency ) to recover some loss back.

Philip Brooks
Philip Brooks
July 15, 2017 6:22 PM

Thanks Phanuel

July 17, 2017 7:57 AM

You are welcome Phillip

Shalom!!

Tony Leung
Tony Leung
July 13, 2017 10:44 PM

James, Thanks very much! The technical analysis is very helpful especially in the choppy patterns. Stochastic Oscillator may also a good indicator for the pivot point of short term movement. I added another short position @$15.73(SPOT SILVER) in order to catch the short term downward movement. I hope I can close my position at the lower support level ($15.25~$15.17). It is risky to play the long position before it’s landing (based on your dreams and technical chart). The promptly update of your dreams and your thoughts is very helpful for me . Please keep up your great works! Shalom!

Matt NZ
Matt NZ
July 16, 2017 1:19 AM
Thomas
Thomas
July 13, 2017 9:35 PM

Great post James, I have been working on the same thing, learning more about technical analysis so I can have better odds trading. I think the charts are more important than news or fundamentals for price action. I have had a tough year trading, but I’m optimistic that it will start turning around.

brian
brian
July 15, 2017 2:55 AM

dont put all your faith in technical trading but rather use charts as an historic guide – no chart or indicator predicts the future. and all of the indicators move in cycles – meaning that for a season the stochastic is a good indicator the next season the macd (my personal choice along with rsi) and another season adx. just be prepared to move with the flow