On February 15, the largest meteor in the past hundred years fell in Russia, injuring about 100 people. Now there are reports of meteors landing all across the United States and Canada.
As reported by all the major news media, the massive meteor that hit Russia was 55 feet in diameter and weighed about 10,000 tons, which is about 20 million pounds. It unleashed more than 30 times the energy of the Hiroshima atomic bomb, which was dropped on Japan in 1945.
Since then, dozens of new meteor sitings have been reported from people across the United States and Canada. Most of the reports came in on February 21 from California and other western states. The following are samples from those eyewitness reports:
Feb 25 – Christine Kristen, Vancouver, BC
Big bright streak straight down. Facing West. Very bright, seemed very big considering how far away it appeared (perhaps over Pacific coast?). Sky was still light.
Feb 24 – Mixart, Sebastopol, CA
Bright for 10 seconds, white with no sound, fast moving toward san francisco.
Feb 22 – Alan, Boulder, CO
Driving north, saw flash through my windshield. Unusual in that it wasn’t dark yet. Yellowish red streak. Thought it might be a greater event in Wyoming or Montana, given its heading.
Feb 21 – C tatum, Primm, NV
Sw angled almost down slightly west I was facing south, Brighter than moon green fiery take, color was almost lime green with a green fiery tale
Feb 21 – HS, Century City, CA
Was short just a few seconds – truly amazing, I was facing west and it was above to the right appearing to head north east or just north. No sound. Maybe greenish in color but large and bright like a single firework almost but large and w tail and very clear looking- I knew straight away not just a shooting star – bright then disappeared. Very bright like brighter than a firework – sun brightness but in night sky. I think there was maybe some fragmentation with the tail. Was not small. I looked around to see if others saw it but was driving so it was hard to tell.
Feb 21 – Andy G, San Juan Capistrano, CA
Flourescent green, no sound. As bright as a firework seen up close. This was so close to me that it literally filled up my field of vision while driving, as if someone had launched a firework a few hundred feet in front of me.
Feb 21 – Jack McQuaide, Downey, CA
Lasted 3-4 seconds, I was traveling in a car heading west, and it appeared to travel from the north to the south. It seemd to be about 30 degress above the horizon. Very vivid bluish/green, with a golden colored trail. Brighter than fireworks. I have not seen anything like this before. I was in the mountains once before during a meteor shower, and didn’t see anything like this.
Feb 21 – Darrin Brenner, Burbank, CA
Lasted 5 seconds, green and white, very bright. Amazing! Looked like a firework at first. It was the biggest I have ever seen. I almost thought there would be an impact. Pretty amazing.
Feb 21 – Brittany H, Santa Barbara, Toro Canyon, CA
Lasted 2 seconds, Facing ocean, it was traveling east to west, bright blue/green with orange trail following. It appeared the orange trail may have been due to fragments. I was in the hot tub with my boyfriend, facing the ocean. He had his back to the ocean but the meteor was bright enough for my boyfriend to notice the color variations reflecting across my face on my face. Absolutely dazzling!
Feb 21 – Brian Merken, Culver City, CA
Lasted 3-5 seconds, light blue with no sound. Seemed like it was falling to the ground. I happen to be looking out the window when I saw it. We live in Culver City and can see all the planes heading to LAX. This was easily 5 times as bright as any plane. It looked as though it was falling straight to the ground as opposed to my past observations which seem to appear to fly across the sky.
Many are wondering if the meteorites are a sign of the end times. The Bible warns us in Luke 21:10-11 of six events that will come prior to the start of end-time, 7-year tribulation period. Each of these six events have been around throughout human history. What makes them a sign of the times is that they will begin to occur more frequently and with greater intensity as the end approaches. Jesus compared it to a woman’s birth pangs as her delivery approaches.
The last of the six events that Jesus listed are “great signs from heaven.” The following are recent facts about each of the six events that will come before the end:
- “Nation will arise against nation” – Turmoil in the middle east has accelerated the past two years with the Arab Spring events. Civil war continues in Syria. At least one prophetic voice is claiming America will be drawn into a new war in 2013. Beyond that, we are currently seeing the world’s largest nations engaging in currency wars in desperate attempts to keep their sovereign debts from default. Historically, when nations are in danger of economic collapse, they turn to war as a last resort.
- “Fearful events” – This could be referring to many different things but terrorist bombings around the world and mass murders in the United States (like at Sandy Hook Elementary School) certainly fit into this category.
- “Great earthquakes in various places” – Starting in 2007, worldwide earthquake activity measuring 5.0 or greater has increased significantly compared to previous years and peaked in 2011. In 2012, earthquake activity subsided to more historical levels. However, after just two months of 2013 we are on pace for another busy year.
- “Famines” – There was a severe famine in 2011 and 2012 in Somalia, which was brought on by drought. Several prophetic ministries have issued warnings of famines hitting the United States and other parts of the world, brought on by a continuation of the severe droughts that we experienced in 2012 and by a worldwide banking system crisis in 2013.
- “Diseases” – In addition to the deadly HIV Aids virus, which is caused by homosexual activity, our generation has experienced a host of deadly diseases such as dengue, malaria, and tuberculosis.
- “Great signs from heaven” – The recent rash of meteorites occurring on their own would be less significant, but when put into the context of the other events listed, they could be part of the fulfillment of this prophecy. In addition, the sun is now reaching the peak of its 11-year solar cycle and NASA issued warnings last week regarding a monster sunspot growing fast, which is large enough to “swallow six earths.” Sunspots cause solar flares, which have the ability to take down our power grid.
So perhaps the birth pangs are getting more frequent now and more intense. Regardless of how close we are to the end time events, there is enough trouble in the world today to make it a great day to draw close to God. He is the source of all good things, including the provision and protection that we all need. If you do not know the Lord and would like to find out what the Bible says about how you can have a personal relationship with Him, click here.
Author: James Bailey
James Bailey is a blogger, business owner, husband and father of two grown children. In 1982, he surrendered his life to the Lord Jesus Christ. In 2012, he founded Z3news.com to broadcast the message of salvation by reporting end time news before it happens.