India Taking Steps Closer to Cashless Society

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi

The Bible warns about a mandatory mark, which will be implemented as part of a global payment system before the return of the Lord Jesus. The world is already drawing closer to that system through a series of transitional steps.

In western nations like the United States, we have gradually adapted to paying without cash by using credit cards, debit cards, PayPal, swiping our cell phones, and a few U.S. retailers are even accepting payments using fingerprint scanners. So things are moving along here, but what about in other parts of the world?

On November 8, India, the world’s second largest nation with over 1.26 billion people, took actions to move closer to a cashless society by announcing a ban on 500-rupee and 1,000-rupee notes. The Indian government is justifying the actions the same way our government does, by claiming it is for our own protection as part of a crackdown on corruption and needed to put a stop to counterfeit notes.

On Sunday, November 27, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation, as reported by Reuters:

“I want to tell my small merchant brothers and sisters, this is the chance for you to enter the digital world,” Modi said speaking in Hindi, urging them to use mobile banking applications and credit-card swipe machines.

“It’s correct that a 100 percent cashless society is not possible. But why don’t we make a beginning for a less-cash society in India?,” Modi said. “We can gradually move from a less-cash society to a cashless society.” [See the full report]

Although India’s Prime Minister is pushing for greater use of use digital payment platforms, the transition process there still has a long way to go because India is one of the world’s heaviest users of cash, accounting for over 90% of total transactions. By contrast, as of 2011, consumers in western nations like Canada, France, and Belgium used cash in less than 10% of transactions while consumers in the United States used cash in less than 20% of transactions. (Source: Creditcards.com)

Little by little, digital payment systems are penetrating deeper and wider throughout the world and bringing us closer to the fulfillment of Bible prophecy.

Special thanks to Z3 contributing author Sujit Thomas for sharing this story.

Christina
Christina
November 29, 2016 6:41 AM

My husband and I were discussing yesterday how, 20 years ago I could not see how anyone would take the mark, but the slow fade sure makes it seem likely. GOD help us!

Adam S.
November 29, 2016 11:09 AM

Similarly, I was reading a certain blog last night discussing the rise of paganism in the military — and there were commenters on there openly calling for and approving to unite all the religions.

…we are so, so close.

Sujit Thomas
Sujit
November 30, 2016 3:14 AM

There are some discerning believers in India who can see how all this is shaping up, but they still believe (or hope, maybe) that a cashless economy cannot or will not come to pass in India because of several teething problems, some of which Earnest has commented on below. Well, at least they are awake.

Earnest
Earnest
November 29, 2016 12:41 PM

Our pm is prime minister pushing our country to cashless transaction, but half of country in total mess, 90% of our pepole dont know how to do digital transaction, truly heavy mess is here, everybody have balance in thier bank accounts but no currency in hand, normaly we use 100% currency transaction for all our daily needs,now we spend our reserve currencies only to very essential needs,till now 80 pepole died (died in big ques infront of banks, hospital rejected patients because old currencies etc),please pray for our country the poor bottom pepole were heavily affected by this currency problem.

Sherry
Sherry
November 29, 2016 9:25 AM

“We have the technology” – quote from the Six Million Dollar Man for those who are old enough to remember that show. My mother in law who is going to be 77 does not think her generation will see the mark of the beast but my husband’s and my generation will. I told her it is here and she may see it. She didn’t believe me even though I have sent her articles on this subject and how people are already getting chipped. And this is another subject my pastor will not discuss over the pulpit.

Stacey
Stacey
November 29, 2016 1:27 PM

Wow, Sherry. I “used to” love watching the Six Million Dollar Man (and The Bionic Woman) when I was a kid. Looking back, both of those programs seem prophetic. Future realities planted into the minds of the masses. And I know exactly what you mean about subjects like this not being discussed.

Sherry
Sherry
November 29, 2016 7:00 PM

Those were the good old days Stacey! A lot has sure changed! BTW that was my attempt at a little bit of humor.

Diane
Diane
November 29, 2016 4:23 PM

Same thing is happening in Zimbabwe, my parents still live there and it’s a nightmare for them.

Gabriel Ansley Erb
November 29, 2016 12:54 PM

Thanks, James! Yes, the infrastructure is already in place in most parts of the world for a cashless society. Scanners are in every grocery store, wall-mart, and on and on. All it would take is a simple enactment of a law … “As of today, cash is no longer accepted”. And then, boom … everyone is forced to pay using cards, chips, etc. We are so close!

Sujit Thomas
Sujit
November 30, 2016 3:21 AM

That simple enactment of a law is what has just transpired in India. And it transpired in spite of the teething problems that remain. And the fact that there is no nationwide protest to this will embolden the current government or those that come after it to enact even bolder laws.

So when people say it cannot come to pass because of so many problems with the system, they forget that all it takes is “a simple enactment of a law.” You are right about that.

Sujit Thomas
Sujit
December 8, 2016 10:47 PM

Here is another news article that shows what is happening in India and why putting one’s faith in money or valuables is not going to help one make it during these perilous times:

Bob Adolph
December 2, 2016 11:23 AM

Italy’s vote this Sunday may spell the end of the European Union reports the NY Times today. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/opinion/in-italy-a-sleeper-crisis-for-the-eu.html?emc=edit_tnt_20161202&nlid=66386553&tntemail0=y

RSS
RSS
November 30, 2016 11:33 PM

I read this article today and have to say it frightens me. I live in IL and just had my driver’s license renewed and did not know about this. I guess I am in the databases now, like it or not.