Exposure to blue light could cause harmful health effects.

Exposure to invisible light called blue light could be damaging our eyes and cause other health problems. This post explains what’s happening and what we can do about it.

As shown in the illustration above, the human eye is only able to perceive one part of the light spectrum, called visible light, which is that part of the electromagnetic spectrum that is seen as colors: violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange and red. There are other kinds of light, which our eyes are unable to perceive, but are just as real. One of them is called blue light, which is invisible due to having a very short wavelength, which also produces a higher amount of energy than visible light. The shorter the wavelength; the higher the energy. Studies suggest that exposure to the blue end of the light spectrum can cause serious long-term damage to our eyes.

Since blue lightwaves are the among the shortest and have the highest energy, they flicker more easily than longer, weaker wavelengths. This flickering creates a glare that can reduce our ability to see contrasts, sharpness and clarity and might cause eyestrain, headaches, physical and mental fatigue. This exposure can come from sun rays, but also from looking at a computer screen or other electronic device for too many hours, or from light emitted by fluorescent-light tubes. Prolonged exposure to blue light might cause retinal damage and contribute to age-related macular degeneration, which can lead to loss of vision. (Source: bluelightexposed.com)

The exact amount of the damage to our eyes caused by blue light is unknown, but it can also disrupt and reduce the quantity and quality of sleep which is essential for our body to rejuvenate and heal itself. Blue light can stimulate the circadian clock (our internal biological clock) and our brain. It can also inhibit melatonin secretion and enhance adrenocortical hormone production, which destroys our hormonal balance. (Source: preventblindness.org)

“Almost all visible blue light passes through the cornea and lens and reaches the retina. This light may affect vision and could prematurely age the eyes. Early research shows that too much exposure to blue light could lead to parts of the eye experiencing:

Digital eyestrain – fatigue, dry eyes or bad lighting. Your body’s sitting position in front of the computer can also result in eyestrain. eyestrain symptoms include: sore or irritated eyes and difficulty focusing.

Retina damage – Studies suggest that continued exposure to blue light over time could lead to damaged retinal cells which can result in vision problems like macular degeneration. (Source: preventblindness.org)

Children may be at higher risk for blue light retinal damage than adults. The juvenile lens absorbs less short-wavelength light than the adult lens, allowing more blue light to reach a child’s retina. (Source: aoa.org)

Compared to older generations, children will have greater exposure to blue light during their lifetime due to the incorporation of electronic devices into daily life from birth onwards.

Here are some steps we can take to protect our eyes: (Source: fortune.com)

• For Apple products, switch on the “night shift” option.
  • For non-Apple products, change the screen colors to “warmer tones”.
  • Wear glasses designed to filter blue light from screens and sunlight. Some contact brands now have this option available.
  • Take regular breaks from looking at your devices to give your eyes a break. Try looking off, ideally into nature, at a distant point, to allow your eyes and eye muscles to rest.
  • For projects that require extensive screen time, split the project into multiple parts with shorter duration.
  • Do not look directly at the sun or high-powered LED headlights, bulbs or flashlights. Avoid using military-grade or very powerful hand-held lights.
  • Use an anti-blue light screen cover on your blue light emitting devices.
  • Minimize the use of your blue light devices at night.

If you have found any excellent resources or articles related to this topic and/or have any suggestions, please share in the comment section below.

Author: Expat Gal

Expat Gal has been blessed to have known God as long as she can remember. She was raised Catholic and was baptized and confirmed in the Catholic faith. At 21, she left the Catholic faith to become a non-denominational Christian as she began to question some Catholic doctrine. One of her life’s highlights was her family’s lake baptism in 2013. In late March 2015, she received a strong Word from the Lord that your “family is no longer safe here” so she and her family permanently relocated outside the U.S. Her goal is to serve the Lord in any capacity He calls her to serve in.

Donna Bryant Sikes
Donna Bryant Sikes
August 18, 2019 8:03 PM

This is two messages I’ve been given today with words I have used this week. I just finished telling my grandson that macular degeneration runs in his mother’s family so he needs eye vitamins called ocuvite. I take his great grandmother to a doctor out of town every 7 weeks for shots in both her eyes to prevent her blindness. So far it works great. Now I can tell his family about this post. And thank you for the post.

The second is that all week I kept saying ‘I’m so wimpy and God needs warriors.’ I’ve had many come against me about having dreams, visions, and words from the Lord. I mean people very close to me. It has made me think the least little thing is all my fault. I kept repeating ‘I’m so wimpy but God doesn’t need that. He needs warriors.’ I kept saying it and thinking it.

I was having a chat with my sister over the phone today and before we hung up she said she had the strangest dream. I asked what it was. She said a woman in her dream was just going around yelling to all the people. She was yelling ‘God does not want wimpies! He wants warriors!’ I was blown away. She said she couldn’t figure out what she had done for God to give her that dream and to put it like that. I told her it was for me and she was blown away that I had been saying those words all week. I am amazed every day.

So stand strong. God does not want wimpies! He wants warriors! And God bless you!

Expat Gal
Expat Gal
August 18, 2019 8:39 PM

Wow Donna! That is awesome! I have confirmation for you as well. Over a month ago, I told James that God had put it on my heart to start sharing what I am learning about all the tactics and methods being used against the average person to harm his/her self. There are so many efforts to sicken people alive today.

Here is another confirmation for you regarding warriors. I had this overwhelming need to start publishing a series of health articles which James agreed would be beneficial. In my mind, I saw Christian “Warriors”, that would ONLY be able to carry out God’s desires for each person’s life if the person was healthy & strong enough to do God’s Will! 🎉💪🏻 An amazing confirmation that He is exposing their tactics so WE can armor up (physically & mentally) by understanding how to DEFEAT these efforts to weaken/sicken us.

The battle has definitely begun. If we band together in sharing best practices to lessen the negative impacts of the tactics being used on us, we will be stronger & healthier to do the work God is calling each of us to do. God Bless! 🙏🏻

Donna Bryant Sikes
Donna Bryant Sikes
August 19, 2019 12:11 AM
That’s great! I’ve been sick with first one thing and then the other since I first began sharing the Obama Trump dream. It hasn’t let up. It’s been two months. I heard a voice when I woke that didn’t come from behind my right ear as it usually does. It said ‘prepare to see your creator’s demise. He’s not who you think He is.’ I gasped as my feet hit the floor and as a reflex thought ‘idiot, he thinks I don’t know how the story ends’. I had a dream where I entered a huge arena where a fake picture of Jesus was being taught. It was to appeal to the younger people. I was so angry I took the picture to the restroom, dunked it into the toilet, then hurled it over into the middle of the arena. I yelled why can’t you just love the one true God! Why do you feel the need to control everything! The picture landed into a metal tub where the picture came alive. I had known the pastor there was controlled by satan. I had seen his picture too. And that’s who was in the tub, satan. He became so angry that he shook and made a fist and it shook. He jerked around to find me but I had sleeked back into the crowd. I went to sit on a bench to figure out my next move. I knew I should not have tried to take him on myself like that. I was pretty angry at myself at that point. Then a woman that has been in some dreams and a vision walked up to me with a breastplate of righteousness. I just knew that was what it was. She had hers too. She said here, you’re going to need… Read more »
Marcio Ferez Jr.
Marcio Ferez Jr.
August 19, 2019 12:45 PM

Donna, great dreams! Keep sharing. If you don’t mind me asking, what is your avatar picture about? I simply cannot tell what it is.

Donna Bryant Sikes
Donna Bryant Sikes
August 19, 2019 1:16 PM

It’s my prayer swing. Thanks!

Sujit Thomas
August 19, 2019 6:16 AM

I remember SonuvaKapenta asking about improving one’s eyesight on another post. At that point I wasn’t really sure if that were possible, but as I prayed about the issue, I felt it impressed upon me that there was some relation between fasting and eye health. Well, now I have come across articles and scientific studies suggesting that fasting can indeed improve eyesight.

I don’t think we are ever going to fully become cognizant or appreciative of the extent of benefits we can reap from this “drab,” “unimpressive” practice of fasting. Until SonuvaKapenta asked that question, I did not even imagine that such a thing were possible, though I’d fully embraced regular fasting as a practice since early this year.

Some of my relatives who know about my practice of fasting regularly criticize me for “damaging” my health. And they are far more health conscious than I am, at least according to modern health standards. Yet, it is they who fall sick from time to time while I seem to stay unaffected even if I live in their midst. They see that I remain healthy when they fall sick, but they are unable to believe why I remain healthy. They sometimes even ask why I don’t fall sick like they do, but they cannot receive my answer. Sad state of affairs.

August 19, 2019 9:18 AM

Thanks for sharing this great testimony Sujit. Surely you are planting in good seeds in them that will bear good fruit.

Carolanne
Carolanne
August 19, 2019 8:56 AM

Great post, Expat Gal. Perhaps God gives us warnings in our physical bodies because he knows electronic devices’ blue light damage ruins our physical eyes because those same devices will cause spiritual blindness by making us addicted, disconnected from people, and will destroy face to face interaction. Then, when mankind becomes isolated, electronic manipulators will have power to cause mind control and darken our minds and our understanding. In the 60’s, people thought processed foods were the cat’s meow-they saved time, were tasty, and kids gobbled them up more than veggies and fruits. Now, we know they cause cancer, and we try to avoid consuming them at all costs. Hindsight is 20/20, they say. Will we say that about sticking our faces in our phones and ignoring people in the process? When we are isolated, blind, lonely, deceived? I think it’s time to connect with face to face contact and disconnect with cyber relationships. Or, we can wait 20 years like those Hamburger Helper, Spaghettio lovers who are now fighting obesity and getting chemotherapy. Hindsight is 20/20 indeed.

Expat Gal
Expat Gal
August 20, 2019 1:55 AM

Hi Caroline – Completely agree!

Carolanne
Carolanne
August 20, 2019 11:48 AM

Expat Gal, 🤓While we are on the subject of eyesight, i had nearsightedness since 5th grade and now I rarely need glasses. I stopped wearing contacts when I tore one about seven years ago, and started getting more far sighted. It was a pain to wear reading glasses, so then I just wore one contact lens. Then, when that one ripped, I couldn’t find the glasses that I rarely wore. I walked around without ore contact lens for awhile, as I always procrastinate on making appointments. I just began to use reading glasses when print was really small. I think it forced my eyes to work harder, because suddenly I could see a lot better. Now I rarely wear them, unless it’s for driving at night. My dad and grandfather had the same experience. My dad said he thought my grandpa was just too cheap to get a new prescription. My dad said he didn’t believe his father when he said he could ditch his glasses and it happened that my father’s eyes improved in middle age too. I didn’t believe him,, either, I just thought he was also being cheap or too vain. So maybe one solution is to force yourself to go without them as much as possible and see if it causes your eyes to work better. This is not medical advice. Seek the LORD for wisdom on this, I wouldn’t want anyone causing a car collision over my shared experience, lol. I think my near sightedness was trauma induced. I’ll save that story for another time.

Lynne NZ
Lynne NZ
August 19, 2019 4:11 AM

Thanks expat gal. You might be interested in this info about nano bot warfare that came up yesterday by Miss Dana Ashleigh. I started the kids on borax today!

Lynne NZ
Lynne NZ
August 19, 2019 4:12 AM

Sorry…forgot the link!
Watch “A solution they DO NOT want you to know.” on YouTube

John Barry
John Barry
August 19, 2019 7:40 AM

Sister Lynne , just watched the video , I would highly recommend to all . Blessings & Thanks .

Expat Gal
Expat Gal
August 19, 2019 9:00 AM

Hi Lynne NZ – I wrote an article on this Saturday night for Z3 News! It should be published shortly! Great minds think alike. 😁. Likely Holy Spirit inspired. 🙏