If you are considering committing fornication, this article will serve as a cold, hard slap in the face to hopefully wake you up.
Sometimes things that appear to be very inviting are not what they appear to be. By pulling the covers off, so to speak, and exposing it, so to speak, for what it really is, we can gain the wisdom to avoid it.
Fornication is normally defined as the act of having sex outside of a marriage relationship. It is widely considered normal and acceptable in movies and television programs.
People have all kinds of reasons to justify having sex outside of marriage:
- We love each other.
- We are going to get married someday.
- If it feels good, just do it.
- They are so good looking I can’t resist them.
- I don’t see anything wrong with it.
- Everyone else is doing it.
- We didn’t go all the way.
Fornication also has a broader definition, which is not limited to sex outside of marriage. We can commit fornication against God by pursuing other lovers, following after idols, loving anything more than we love God.
Fornication can be a strong desire in our heart for something that God has instructed us to avoid. Like adultery, it is possible to commit fornication in our heart without committing it in our actions. That is why Jesus taught us, “I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” (Matthew 5:28)
Regardless of what kind of fornication we commit or our reasons for doing it, the same unfortunate consequences always come to those who participate in it. The Bible reveals the consequences:
I know Ephraim, and Israel is not hidden from Me; for now, O Ephraim, you have committed fornication, Israel has defiled itself. Their deeds will not allow them to return to their God. For a spirit of fornication is within them, and they do not know the Lord. (Hosea 5:3-4)
So based on this scripture, fornication is a package deal. Everyone who commits fornication always gets the whole package, whether they like or not. They get the thing they thought they had to have, but they also get all of the following dire consequences:
- They defile themselves. According to the definition, when something is defiled it is corrupted. It’s reputation is damaged. It’s sanctity is destroyed. It is polluted. It is made unclean and impure. It is tainted, blemished, stained, contaminated, flawed, and disgraced. There is nothing good about getting defiled. This is not something God does to us. This is what we do to ourselves when we commit fornication.
- Their deeds will not allow them to return to God. God gave each of us a conscience, which gives us the ability to discern right from wrong. When we do anything that violates our conscience, our confidence before God is damaged. When we lack confidence to stand before God, we avoid Him, just like Adam hid himself from God after eating the apple in the Garden of Eden. If we violate our conscience long enough, we can get to the point where we no longer even hear it speaking to us any more. That is a very dangerous place to be.
- An evil spirit, which is an unclean demonic spirit, gets legal permission to enter into a person who commits fornication. The unclean spirit can point to the acts of fornication as their ticket to enter. When that happens, the person becomes more entangled in the sin of fornication, making it harder for them to stop doing it. What started as an entertaining thought moves into the realm of the heart where it becomes a consuming passion. This affection of the heart destroys their relationship with the Lord because their heart is so filled with other things, which are not pleasing to God. Their heart is far from Him. Unclean spirits also bring with them all sorts of unpleasant things like curses, bad attitudes, spiritual blindness, confusion, deception, and diseases.
- Until the person repents and comes humbly to the Lord and stops sinning, they cannot know the Lord. That is the worst consequence of all because knowing the Lord is eternal life (John 17:3). Anyone who does not know Him is doomed for all eternity.
Fornication is literally playing with fire. It is an open invitation for deception to come. It is a trick. It is not what it appears to be. It might appear to be fun and interesting, but it comes with heavy baggage that nobody in their right mind would want.
Anyone who practices fornication can get bound up in it by the demonic spirits that have entered into them. The good news for them is as long as they have breath in their body there is still hope. They can be set free from the demonic spirits by turning to the Lord and praying in the name of Jesus Christ. The demons who are too strong for them to conquer are no match for the Lord Jesus Christ. Just the mention of His name will send demons packing their bags and leaving town. They have no defense against Him and they have no defense against us when we walk in right relationship with God, obeying His commandments and using the name of Jesus. By the power of His name, anyone who has been bound can be set free and anyone who has been defiled can be made clean.
See more thought provoking Bible study topics.