There is such a great contrast between the world we see today and the one described in the end time prophecies of the Bible. If the Lord is coming soon, then dramatic changes in our world are coming even sooner. The purpose of this post is to consider how soon he might be returning, so we can understand how soon to expect other changes that we know are coming.
The Lord is not trying to conceal the timing of his return. We know that because he taught us how to recognize the signs that would identify the season of his return. See my previous post, Ten Signs We Have Entered the Season of the Lord’s Return.
He said we would not know the day or the hour, but he stopped short of saying we would not know the year. So maybe it is possible to know that. In any case, I don’t believe there is anything wrong with digging in a little deeper to consider what might be the year of his return.
The Bible reveals many specific events that must happen before the Lord returns. See my previous post, Ten Things that Must Happen Before the Rapture. Since we already know what these things are, we can learn a lot about the future by identifying how soon these things must take place. Based on these findings, I believe we have already reached a critical pivot point where the world as we know it is about to change forever. If that is true, then we must begin now to prepare for what is ahead.
We can estimate the year of his return by relying on the information provided in the Bible. The creation week reveals God’s larger plan for man’s time of dominion in the earth. Each day of the creation week represents one thousand years in the history of the earth because with the Lord one day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like one day (2 Peter 3:8). There is much more to this topic, which will be explained in more detail in a future post.
We have already seen this pattern unfolding from the beginning of creation until now. By counting the years in the lives of each person listed in the generations recorded in the Bible, we find the following amazing symmetry:
- One thousand years from Adam to Noah, the first day
- One thousand years from Noah to Abraham, the second day
- One thousand years from Abraham to David, the third day
- One thousand years from David to the Messiah, the fourth day.
- Two thousand years from the Messiah’s crucifixion to the Messiah’s return, the fifth and sixth days.
- One thousand years from the Messiah’s return to the creation of a new heaven and a new earth, the seventh day.
That is interesting, but it gets even more interesting. By combining the Scriptures with historical records from the Roman Empire, we can identify the exact year the Lord was crucified. Luke 3:1-3 tells us the word of the Lord came to John the Baptist in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar. Since the Romans kept detailed historical records, we know Tiberius Caesar began his reign on August 19 of the year 14 AD, so the fifteenth year of his reign would be the year 29 AD. We also know Jesus began his ministry soon after John the Baptist began his, and continued his ministry for three years before he was crucified. Therefore, Jesus was crucified in 32 AD.
The fifth and sixth days are the two thousand years of the church, which began with the resurrection of the Lord and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit fifty days later on the day of Pentecost. So if the age of the church began in 32 AD and continues for two thousand years, it would conclude in the year 2032 AD.
Amazingly, this timing fits precisely with the timing revealed to Terry Bennett by the angel Gabriel. The angel told Terry by the year 2028 we would see 666, which means we would see the world government, economy, and religion all come under the rule of the antichrist by 2028. See my previous post, Terry Bennett: You Will See 666.
If the antichrist begins his reign in 2028 and is then allowed to rule for 42 months (Revelation 13:5), then his time to rule would be brought to an end in 2032.
This timing also fits perfectly with all of my studies regarding the sequence of events, which are summarized as follows:
- The tribulation begins with the antichrist making a seven year covenant, peace treaty, with many nations. (Daniel 9:27)
- The antichrist rules for 42 months (Revelation 13:5)
- The antichrist takes his seat in the temple (Daniel 9:27, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-4)
- The tribulation escalates into the great tribulation with the breaking of the sixth seal, causing a great earthquake and other calamities. The sky is split apart like a scroll and the sign of the Son of Man appears in the sky. (Matthew 24:29-30, Revelation 6:12-17)
- The seventh seal is broken (Revelation 8:1).
- The last trumpet of the church age is sounded (1 Corinthians 15:52).
- The great multitude comes out of the great tribulation and appears standing before the throne of God in heaven, which is the raptured church (Revelation 7:9-17).
- There is silence in heaven for half an hour, which marks the end of the church age and the beginning of the day of the Lord (Revelation 8:1). It also marks the end of the sixth day and beginning of the seventh day.
- The Lord releases his wrath in the earth with seven trumpets (Revelation 8-11).
- The day of the Lord continues with the Lord Jesus ruling on the earth for one thousand years, the seventh day, the day of rest (Revelation 20:2-7).
There are many events listed here, but most of them happen very fast. For example, the rapture happens in the twinkling of an eye (1 Corinthians 15:32).
Continuing this exercise a step further, if the Lord returns in 2032 then we now have only seventeen years left. That means we are about to see a shifting, which will transform the world we have always known into the world described in the Bible during the last days.
These dates are just estimates based on the limited information available to me, and could easily be years off. I cannot say for sure the Lord will return in 2032, but that is not the point. The purpose for this exercise is to show the time is very short. Knowing that can help motivate us to make the most of every hour we have left to do all we can to advance the kingdom of God. It can help us get our priorities aligned with God’s priorities. It might also give us insights into the timing of other future events, which could help us make better decisions in preparing for them.
I believe we are now entering into the fulfillment of Isaiah 60, which will bring about a transformation of the world into something very dark, but it also means the glory of the Lord is now arising upon his people.
Those who know the Lord have nothing to fear. They will do great exploits in these days (Joel 2). However, those who don’t know the Lord should be terrified about what is coming. Today is the acceptable time to come to the Lord to receive his promise of eternal life. Find out more about how you can receive his free gift.
See more End-Time Bible study topics.
Author: James Bailey
James Bailey is a blogger, business owner, husband and father of two grown children. In 1982, he surrendered his life to the Lord Jesus Christ. In 2012, he founded Z3news.com to broadcast the message of salvation by reporting end time news before it happens.